When I created Urban Chintz® sustainable practice was at the forefront of my mind. I intended to create beautiful desirable textiles with as little impact on the environment as possible.
An estimated £140m worth of clothing is sent to UK landfill each year, so I am very clear on our policy
As a small designer brand I know and handle each scarf / pocket square, from conception to sale, knowing each garments story.
Designed for long and valued life
- We only use natural fabrics
- We have zero waste.
- We offer a Free repair service to increase longevity.
- Gentle care will enable our garments to last for years and when it does reach its end it will break down naturally.
- However all yarns and processes have pitfalls some larger than others, washing your textiles can have a larger impact on the environment that the material itself.
- The majority of our textiles are printed digitally, Digital print is perfect for limited production runs and reduces wasted dyes. All the digital printing is with specialist textile printers in Britain this reduces the fabric’s journey, supports 'made in Britain',
- By using specialist British textile printers I am reassured that European legislation on waste pollution is strong and enforced.
- All of our garments are made by hand and many are hand sewn, with the majority of garments sewn by myself in my workshop/ studio, occasionally receiving help from local seamstresses.
- Currently our original packaging is made by Jo, out of cotton canvas
There is a great deal of excellent research and publications if you are interested and I can recommend Sustainable Fashion and Textiles: Design Journeys By Kate Fletcher.